Former President Rodrigo Duterte will not attend the International Criminal Court’s confirmation of charges hearing starting Feb. 23, formally waiving his right to appear before the Pre-Trial Chamber.
In a letter submitted by his lawyer Nicholas Kaufman, Duterte said he does not recognize the ICC’s jurisdiction and asked the court to “respect my peace” in his cell, describing himself as “old, tired, and frail.”
He said he understands the consequences of skipping the hearing and trusts his counsel to challenge the prosecution’s evidence.
Duterte also declined to follow the proceedings remotely, saying he would forget them “within minutes” and does not consider them valid.
The former president reiterated his claim that he was “kidnapped,” not lawfully arrested, and called allegations that he oversaw extrajudicial killings an “outrageous lie” by political opponents. He said he remains proud of his legacy and service.
Duterte has been in ICC custody since his arrest in March last year under a warrant for crimes against humanity linked to drug war killings.
The confirmation hearing is set from Feb. 23 to 27. The chamber earlier denied his camp’s request to adjourn the proceedings, ruling he is fit to participate.IMT
