President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. vowed to continue government programs that provide direct assistance to poor and vulnerable Filipinos, saying these efforts have already helped millions escape poverty and hunger.
Speaking at the Bawat Bayan Makikinabang program in Dumaguete City on Monday, Aug. 17, Marcos Jr. said he was pleased with a recent government assessment showing that 6.5 million Filipinos had been lifted out of poverty since his administration started its social support programs.
“At natutuwa naman ako, kakarating lang ng bagong istatistiko, naibigay sa akin noong isang araw at sinabi na mula noong sinimulan natin itong mga programang ito, six and a half million Filipinos have been removed from poverty,” the President said.
“Kaya’t maganda naman ang naging epekto. Ako’y natutuwa na ‘yung ating mga ginagawa ay mayroon talagang natutulungan at marami talaga tayong naiaahon sa kagutuman at sa kahirapan. Kaya po, ito ay papatuloy po natin.”
During the event, Marcos Jr. also led the distribution of P20,000 each to 15 presidential scholars from Dumaguete City and two other towns in Negros Oriental.
“Sana mapakinabangan ninyo itong mabuti para makapagtapos kayo. Dahil ang pag-aaral ay ibang klaseng biyaya ‘yan,” he told the scholars.
“Dahil ito ay makakatulong sa sarili ninyo para pagandahin ang buhay ninyo, para pagandahin ninyo, tulungan ninyo ang iyong mga pamilya, tulungan ninyo ang mga community ninyo,” Marcos added.
The government has been coursing assistance through local government units under the Local Government Support Fund (LGSF) and Socio-Civic Projects Fund (SCPF) to speed up the delivery of aid.
As of August 15, some 1,281 LGUs had received P22.32 billion under the LGSF-Financial Assistance to LGUs for rice distribution projects.
Under the SCPF-Bawat Barangay Makikinabang Program, P7.66 billion had been released as of August 14, benefiting 38,279 barangays. Each barangay received P200,000.
The event also marked the initial distribution of 10-kilo sacks of rice to 2,230 beneficiaries from two barangays in Dumaguete City.
Across Negros Oriental, around 386,673 beneficiaries are expected to receive assistance under the LGSF-Bagong Pilipinas Rice Program.
The province also has 2,785 Bagong Pilipinas Presidential Scholars, with five scholars coming from each of its 557 barangays.IMT
